Wednesday, December 26, 2007

SUCCESS FOR SOPHIE!

Sophie was a longterm resident of our shelter. Poor girl came in with five other dogs all abandoned, all heartworm positive. Thanks to our sponsors - Sophie and her pals were all treated and taken into Almost Home Rescue. We received the below update from her new mom. Success stories like this one is why we fight so hard for every single dog that comes through our shelter.



Last May we took in Sophie who was one of the "urgent" dogs with heartworm that needed placement with the Marion Shelter's pending construction and closing. She has been such a wonderful addition to our household and for months now I have been meaning to send photos for your websites with a report.

When she arrived May 12th, she was stiff, scared, serious and had a cough. The cough disappeared after a trip to the vet and over the next couple weeks her sillier happy side began to emerge and we adopted her. I credit you for the accurate profile on "Petfinder". She is calm, gentle, a little timid, good with cats and other dogs and a good companion, just as advertised. She is also a great hiking companion, total goofball and a lot of fun. My husband and I both said we've never had a dog who likes toys so much. As you can see from the photos, she has the run of the house. (My husband, who is a chief mate working on a research vessel for three months doesn't know she also has the run of our bed now, too. ;o) )

I never would've known about "Almost Home" if my friend, Martie Crone, hadn't called me up last April to tell me of the predicament of the dogs at the Marion shelter. At first I wasn't interested because I wanted to focus on my older dog, Lucy, (now 14) and not have her feel pushed out. But Sophie is good to Lucy and seems to have sparked her up in her old age. I am eternally grateful to you all for your work on behalf of these animals and so thankful that you made it possible for Sophie to join our family.

Have a good holiday season!

Bernice Nadler

No comments: